Sunday, January 3, 2010

Tuesday-Friday Chicken on a Sunday

If it's Paul's fried chicken, it must be Tuesday-Friday. I guess I should explain. (By the way - according to my husband, it's actually Tuesday f***ing Friday). The fire department in Lake Charles works on a 3 week schedule that starts on a Wednesday. They work 24 hour shifts every other day for 2 weeks (except Friday which is half a day) and then get a week off. The week off starts on a Wednesday as well, so the 2nd Tuesday they work is a Friday in that it is the day before their 'weekend'. They tend to cook the same food on the same day of the week each cycle. (Think Prince spaghetti day). If this makes no sense - worry not. Just know that on Tuesday-Friday Paul used to make fried chicken. I would show up for dinner at the fire station and bring chocolate chip cookies for Paul as a thank you. Tonight was obviously not Tuesday so it wasn't Tuesday-Friday chicken night - but Paul made me chicken anyway. I brought ingredients to bake cookies at the fire station and a good time was had by all. In case anyone wants to know - the chicken is still the best fried chicken around!



Earlier today, we got in the Honda and took a drive back to Lafayette. It's a little over an hour from here and it wasn't in our original Louisiana plan but an opportunity presented itself that doesn't come along every day. A little over 20 years ago, I met Steve at an event in Coney Island. I was there for my job and he was in the army band and stationed at Fort Hamilton. They played at this ribbon cutting ceremony and we met on line waiting for food and drink. Well, actually I was waiting - the guys in uniform got to eat first. It was about 100 degrees out there and I walked up to a few guys in line and asked if one of them could grab me a cold soda so I didn't pass out waiting in line. Steve got me a soda and we started to talk. The rest, as they say, is history. We lost touch for a good number of years and out of the blue a few years back, Steve looked me up on the internet and gave me a call. He is now driving a big rig across the country and living in his home town of Buffalo. He was in Texas and driving to Florida and I was in Louisiana. We were too close not to make a plan to get together. It is the first time we've seen each other in over 15 years! We ate at a wonderful Greek/Lebanese restaurant called Zeus. We had a wonderful time reminiscing and hanging out and eating lots of good food. I guess it's just been a good food kind of day!

Here's hoping all your meals are good ones!
~ Kassidee (3 pounds heavier than she was last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment