Monday, January 18, 2010

The Grand Canyon in the snow

Ken and I took a lovely train ride back up to the rim of the Grand Canyon. Here is what it looked like today.

Needless to say, the view was not the same today as yesterday. It was still beautiful, but it was a very different kind of beauty. I am SO glad we brought my Mom yesterday!

I will put up a few more photos of the train ride and some trains. There was great scenery if you like snow!

We were in a train car with some loud and annoying people who were all but impossible to block out. Other than that, the train ride was great. There were muffins and fruit salad at breakfast time on the ride out and cheese and crackers and crudités on the ride back south. There was a Navajo man singing his people's traditional songs and other songs as well. It was a very comfortable ride and Ken and I are both very happy we did this - despite the weather.

It was cold up at the rim as you will see from the photos. We had lunch at El Tovar Hotel which is right near the train depot at the Canyon. It wasn't anything too special but it was good. We walked around for awhile and then sat by the fire at the hotel. I had a hot tea with a chocolate taco while enjoying the warmth of the fire. (Picture a taco shell shape made of hard chocolate, filled with chocolate mousse. Ken had a glass of red wine.

We took the train back into Williams, and now we are off for dinner at Rod's Steak House. I hope to write more later. Tomorrow morning (bright and early to beat the next storm) we are leaving for Las Vegas. If you don't hear from me again tonight, I'll type at you from the land of Lost Wages.

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!
~ Kassidee













No comments:

Post a Comment