Sunday, December 6, 2009

Northampton in the snow

Wow! What an amazing evening. We drove through snow to get to Northampton and had a lovely dinner. It was a like a scene from a postcard or a movie about Christmas. All the twinkling lights, the shops with all their festive window displays, and the snow falling and sticking to the trees and shrubs. It really was beautiful.

The concert was fabulous, except for the two idiot women who were sitting in front of us who behaved worse than 10 year olds. At least if 10 year olds were doing it, an adult would have told them to stop. They spent the first 20 minutes of the show talking and texting. Unbelievable.

John Prine, however was fantastic! As good as ever. Iris Dement opened. Not my favorite. The sound at that gig could have been better. But overall an unforgettable evening.

He did one of my all time favorite songs of his - Standing by Peaceful Waters. I didn't even dare dream I'd hear it live. In the song, he talks about the 2 lakes, known as the twin lakes at the Illinois - Wisconsin border. Many years ago, I was at an Arlo show in Woodstock, Illinois and I got to talking to the people sitting next to me. They said they lived in Twin Lakes. I discovered I was not far from the very two lakes that I had been singing along to on my new Prine CD for weeks on end. (Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings). The next day my friend Laura and I took a drive to Twin Lakes. It was one of those perfect accidents. Somewhere there is even video of this event. But I digress...

The show was everything you could ask for. He did so many of the songs you know and love and did them all with a smile and a story. Ken and I realized what a wonderful musical year we have had and it serves to remind me that life is good! :)

Now if I can just get ready for this road trip!

Oh - I have it on good authority that my friend was sprung from the hospital and I also managed to get the cheesecake baked today. No easy task as we were out of eggs, vanilla and sugar!

Onward and upward!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds beautiful. Wish we were there.

    Reading through the description of the trip I think you need a video camera, too. You and Husband and Mom and ALL the pets. You really should have gotten a deal on a reality series before heading out.

    About the anonymity thing you mentioned a few posts earlier - I wouldn't bother worrying at this point. Have you Googled your name? There are pages of results and your all over famous quotation sites to boot. You've already been famed. Too late to do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds awesome!



    ps:this is diminion,lolz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are in North Carolina and sorry to hear the weather is at 24. Sounds like home. Enjoy the weekend and continued Happy Travels. Take care.

    ReplyDelete